Wednesday, July 06, 2005

fresh deer

I saw this deer quite soon after its death, the blood is still fresh and a friend confirmed that a man and a woman taking pictures of the deer about 15 minutes before I passed there. My guess is that they were the ones who hit it, and were taking pictures for insurance purposes. This deer died just west of Jacksonville, probably at about 8pm this evening.

I've been thinking more about possible roadkill causes and remembering stories from friends and relatives who have hit animals, and I think my previous post was perhaps a bit harsh, I'm sure there are plenty of "stupid" or "careless" animals that stray onto the roadway and just don't have luck or instinct, jump the wrong way and Wham!, life is over. I've even been told of times when a deer has jumped out of the brush, probably in a mad run for the other side of the road, and hit a car, rather than the reverse. I've also realized that many people do agonize for life over hitting animals, but in this carnivorous society, I'm guessing that the agony (if any) is usually short lived.

2 deer in 2 days, I wonder what the effect our roadways and bigger bigger more more automobile attitude have on the deer population.

No comments: